Tuesday, February 13, 2007

anti-valentine music

For some reason, MSN loves to publish articles on being single. (I think it has something to do with their personals site that I don't think anyone ever uses.) This Valentine's Day alone, we have:

Surviving Valentine's Day Solo
Single on Valentine's? Hooray!
Why I Hate Valentine's Day

My favorite though is probably "Anti-Valentine: The Top 'I Hate Love' Songs of All Time."

Nothing epitomizes the single person's challenge quite like Valentine's Day -- the one day each year that seems defined solely by gestures of romance: the delivery of red roses, thoughtful cards and phone calls, candlelight dinners, et cetera, ad nauseum. So this year, here's a suggestion: You can simply choose to hate love. I mean, really despise the sucker. Wear black. Spit on flowers. Fill your ears not with the sweet nothings of others but with the wails, moans and cries of musicians who have the decency to remind us of love's disastrous qualities.
I don't think we need to be quite so bitter, but I do love that J. Geils Band.

No comments: