Friday, December 15, 2006

welcome

"My dear, to a brighter future - when there will not be so many forced marriages, and women will be taught not to feel theirs a destiny manqué, nor the threat of poor spinsterhood, should they remain single." - British Woman, 1859

"A woman alone is an atrocity! An act against nature. Unmarried women pose a grave danger...our great civilization could decline...the larger health of the nation is at stake." - British MP, 1922

"I am so lonely I could die. I wake, realize I don't have a boyfriend and put my head in the oven...I go to parties, night classes, museums, various clubs and mixers with my eyelashes curled hopefully and am wracked with disappointment to find only more hopeful women with curled eyelashes. I go to dinner parties and my throat seizes up with envy as I watch the happy couples, who are my friends. My nights are long with longing. Grief. Also, I have a large bridge in New York to sell you. Ho. Ho. Ho." - Cynthia Heimel, Playboy, 1987


All quotes from Betsy Israel's Bachelor Girl

1 comment:

appleatinheathen said...

I have recently discovered 2 ways to immediately feel way better when I start feeling bad for being still unmarried:
1)Read James Hillman's Revisioning Psychology: "...we spoil our...friendships, marriages, loves and families by looking to people for redemption. We seek salvation in personal encounters, personal relations, personal solutions...while ignoring the persons of the psyche who compose the soul and upon whom the soul depends".
or,
2) hang out for a few hours with people who actually have the spouse and kids and all the attendant anxiety, miscommunication, screaming, dirty laundry, anger, repression, letdowns, etc etc. I LOVE coming home to the quiet apartment and the relatively quiet cat afterwards.